Request a Free Quote (Public or Private Health Insurance)

Anmeldung: the German address registration explained

How to register your address in Germany

Last update: November 2015
German Address Registration (in German: Anmeldung)


What's the Anmeldung?

Anmeldung bei der Meldebehörde (Anmeldung process for the Bürgeramt office): you are required by law to register your residency within 14 days of relocating to your new German address. The exception to this deadline is if you are a "visitor" in Germany for stays up to 2 months.

The registration process is called Anmeldung or Bürgeramt Anmeldung and it’s mandatory if you want to live legally in Germany (even as a student).

It applies to everyone who lives in Germany, citizens and foreign residents alike. Without official registration of your local address, you cannot get a residence permit, nor can you complete your enrollment at the university or do other official things that require proof of residence. In German, the proof of residence is called Anmeldebestätigung or Meldebescheinigung (see image below).

Example of an Anmeldebestätigung from Berlin

For Berlin, Dortmund, Düsseldorf, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Cologne and Hamburg addresses, you have to register at your local Bürgeramt in its Einwohnermeldeamt (resident registration office). In the suburbs, the Einwohnermeldeamt can vary from town to town.

Exception: For Munich addresses, you need to register at the Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR).

Since 01.11.2015, the German law for the registration process changed. 

Read our new updated Anmeldung Guide in here.

What can I do with my proof of residence?

  • when doing your "Anmeldung", you get automatically a German tax ID (you will get it within 3 weeks at your registered German address). Your employer will need that number.
  • when doing your Anmeldung, you can also request a tax number (called Steuernummer in German) by ticking the appropriate box on the form. That number is different from the tax ID as it changes every year and/or whenever your marital status changes. 
    Employees have their income tax deducted from their salary at source. If you don't apply for a tax number (in your Anmeldung form), you will be taxed at the maximum rate possible and will not be able to claim any tax back in the future. In case of an extra job, you need to apply for an additional tax number. 

    With your proof of residence, you can then:
  • open a bank account;
  • get German health insurance;
  • enrol at a German university;
  • obtain a residence permit;
  • get a mobile phone contract
  • subscribe to a fitness club;
  • and so on.

Address Registration Checklist

You will need:

  • Registration form, called Meldeschein or Anmeldung form, available ONLY in German at your local Bürgeramt
    • The Anmeldung form is also available online in English, French, Italian or Spanish here.
  • Valid passport (non-EU citizens) or ID card (EU/EEA citizens).
  • Visa if required for entry into Germany.
  • Rental agreement, lease or confirmation letter (if hotel/hostel or apartment-hotel type).
  • If you have children: Birth certificate (for some specific countries) translated in German.
  • If you are married: Marriage certificate (translated in German).


  • You also need to re-register if you change your address or name while you’re in Germany.
  • When leaving Germany, you need to notify the Bürgeramt as well (called Abmelden). The Abmeldung process can be done in person or in writing.

Where to register?

  • Here is a map of Germany with a list of Bürgeramt for the cities of Berlin, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Dortmund & Hamburg.
  • Here is the address for Munich:
    Kreisverwaltungsreferat / Einwohnermeldeamt (KVR ground floor)
    Ruppertstr. 19
    80337 Munich


Read also our updated Anmeldung Guide here

Trying to register your address in Germany without speaking German?

Do your Anmeldung with myGermanExpert in your own language! We help you register your new residency in Germany in either English, Italian, French or Spanish.