Public and Private Health Insurance

Tax Return

July 29, 2013

10 Steps to sorting your German paperwork

Share this:

Practical Guide to sorting your German Paperwork

(for non-EU nationals - long-term stay)

Last update: August 2015
German Paperwork

10 Steps to sorting your German paperwork 


Apply for a job or university 

(of course, not from within Germany)

If you get a job or get accepted by a German university, you are then allowed to apply for an entry visa

Here is a Job Listing for vacancies in sectors where Germany has a shortage of qualified professionals.

* If you are a citizen from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand and USA (exception for the Green card holders), you can apply for a job while in Germany (within 3 months) as you do not need any entry visa.
* If you are a citizen from Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino, you do not need an entry visa if your only purpose is studying, so you can apply for a student permit while in Germany. However, you will not be allowed to work at all. If you want to work, you need to apply for a visa before entering Germany.

July 3, 2013

4 Steps to leave the German Church

Share this:

How to leave the German Church?

Last update: October 2014 
Church Tax

Do you have enough of paying Church Tax each month?

If you do not want to pay Church Tax of 8 or 9%, you need to leave the German Church as soon as possible. Not ticking the Church Tax box in your Tax ID application form (former Tax Card) may just be enough to avoid it, but it is no guarantee.

Here is the procedure for leaving the church for tax purposes


Ask the "Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug" (for 2010 or 2011) in original version from your employer (see screenshot below). As from 2012, the Tax ID number is electronic so no need to request it anymore.

Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug
Bescheinigung für den Lohnsteuerabzug